Registration Policy and Procedures

Registration is completed according to the procedures and time schedule published on the website at

Academic Advisement

Each student is assigned an academic advisor according to major. The academic advisor assists the student in making progress towards a degree. Prior to registering each semester, all students must obtain approval of their proposed schedules as well as registration clearance in the student information system from their assigned academic advisor. 

Dropping or Adding Courses (Schedule Change)

All dropping, adding, and changing courses must be arranged by the student through the Registrar’s Office in order to be considered official. A student wishing to drop or add a course must complete the schedule change (if prior to the start of the semester) through the UMHB online registration system accessible via MyCampus or (if on or after the start of the semester) by contacting the Registrar's Office in person or via email.  Schedule changes may not be conducted over the phone.  Students receiving VA benefits must also provide information on schedule changes to the UMHB VA Office.

Courses may be dropped as follows. Students should refer to the website for the exact dates of each drop period as these dates will vary:

  • The Pre-Census* Period: If a course is dropped before or on the census date, no grade or record of the class will appear on the student’s transcript.
  • The “W” Period: If a course is dropped during the “W” Period, the class is recorded on the student’s transcript with a grade of “W”.
  • The “WP/WQ” Period: If a course is dropped during the “WP/WQ” Period, the class is recorded on the student’s transcript with a grade of “WP” or” WQ” as reported by the instructor.
  • No course may be dropped after the end of the “WP/WQ” Period.

Any student who stops attending a class but fails to officially drop the course through the Registrar’s Office will be given a failing grade in the class.

*Census date is the specific day in the semester that is used for all official reporting or calculations. It is currently the eighth class day. 

Repeating a Course

A student may repeat a course for the purpose of raising a grade by re-taking that course at UMHB or at another accredited institution.

For a course re-taken at UMHB, the highest grade earned will be used to compute the cumulative grade point average.  Nonetheless, the grades for all attempts will print on the transcript.  The graded hours and quality points for each additional time the course was taken will count in the respective term grade point average but not towards graduation requirements.

Re-taking a course at another accredited institution that was initially taken at UMHB may satisfy degree requirements so long as a grade of "C" or higher is attained for the transfer course.  The grade for the transfer course, however, is not posted to the student's academic record and is not included in term or cumulative grade point average calculations.  Instead, the UMHB grade is flagged as a repeat and removed from the cumulative grade point average calculation.  Nonetheless, the UMHB grades for all attempts will print on the transcript.

Students re-taking a course at another accredited institution that was initially taken at UMHB are strongly urged to submit a Pre-approval of Transfer Credits Form to the Registrar's Office to ensure the suitability of the course prior to enrolling at the other institution. 

Audit Registration

A student may register for most courses by audit. However, laboratory courses, workshops, activity PE (EXSS) courses, and music ensembles may be audited only by approval of the instructor. An audit course may not be changed to a credit course nor may a credit course be changed to an audit course after the last day of registration for that particular course.

Withdrawal from the University

Students who withdraw from the University before the expiration of the semester or session for which they are enrolled must complete the official Withdrawal Form in the Registrar’s Office and secure the approval of the Business Office. University housing students must also secure the approval of the Dean of Students before withdrawing from the University.

A student whose withdrawal is necessitated by illness or injury will be given three weeks within which to withdraw officially.

A student who withdraws is immediately eligible to apply for readmission except that:

  • A student on academic suspension due to receipt of WQs for withdrawn courses cannot be readmitted until one Spring or Fall semester has passed; and
  • A student may be disqualified for readmission for disciplinary reasons.

Students experiencing a disruption in enrollment lasting longer than one academic year must reorganize their respective degree plan to conform with the current catalog.

Students who stop attending classes but fail to withdraw officially will be given failing grades in all courses.

Administrative Withdrawal

The university reserves the right to withdraw a student from classes and/or the university if the student’s account is delinquent or if such action is deemed in the best interest of the student and/or the university. See p. 57 for more information.