UMHB Campus

Academic, Administrative, and Other Buildings

Baugh Center for the Visual Arts houses classrooms, offices, and gallery space for the Department of Art.  Constructed in 2012, its name honors the memory of Eula Mae and John Baugh, whose family foundation made the lead gift for the building.

Bawcom Student Union Building was named in honor of former president Dr. Jerry Bawcom.  Completed in 2014, this 110,000 square foot building interlocks with Crusader Stadium and offers an assortment of dining areas, campus store, Student Life offices, Baptist Student Ministries, rooms for UMHB band programs, and multi-functional rooms, including the McLane Great Hall. 

C.R. Clements Building was built in 1981, thanks to a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Kirkpatrick in honor of Mr. C.R. Clements.  The building was renovated in 2001 and houses offices for Development as well as for Communications and Special Projects. An addition of 4,000 square feet was completed in March 2016 along with renovations to the existing building.

Cru Community Clinic previously housed the Baptist Student Ministry.  The building was completely renovated in Summer 2019.  It now houses a combined interprofessional community clinic for Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Counseling.

Curtis Mansion is undergoing renovations to house the Campus Planning and Support Services Division.  The structure was originally built in 1902 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Davidson Educational Building was made possible through a gift from the estate of C.J. “Red” Davidson.  Constructed in 1983, the complex provides classrooms, computer facilities, and office space for Computer Science and Engineering, English, and Modern Foreign Languages.

Engineering Design Building was completed in Summer 2019 and  accommodates space for classrooms, labs, offices, and meeting spaces for the Engineering program.  The facility includes four “smart” classrooms, a digital design lab that can double as a classroom, an electronics lab, a conference room, a student lounge, and a large fabrication workshop where students can test their designs by building them, using wood, metal, plastics, and other materials.

Frazier Hall,  built in 1960, provides offices for various functions, to include graduate school admissions, food services administration, and Strength and Conditioning coaches.

Hardy Hall was named in honor of former president Dr. J.C. Hardy; the building was constructed in 1929.  It was renovated in 2015 for our Doctor of Physical Therapy program which contains classrooms, offices, and labs.  An addition was completed in 2019 to house the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program and Master of Science in Physician Assistant Program.

Heard Hall is the oldest building on campus.  Constructed in 1919, it was originally used as a women’s residence hall from approximately 1919 to 1960.  The building served as the administration building for a short time and currently houses academic offices.

Isabelle Rutherford Meyer Nursing Education Center was completed in 2012 and dedicated in February 2013.  The building houses faculty offices, classrooms, and simulation laboratories for UMHB’s Scott and White School of Nursing.  The lead gift for the building was contributed by the Paul and Jane Meyer Family Foundation, and the building is named for Paul Meyer’s mother, who during her lifetime worked as both a nurse and a teacher.

Mabee Student Success Center was made possible by a grant from the J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation.  Built in 1973, the building was expanded in 1995.  The building was renovated from 2014 to 2015.  The building contains: University Police, Post Office, Mabee Market, Cru Card and Copy Services, Career Services, Writing Center, International Student Services, Center for Global Engagement, Center for Academic Excellence, ROTC, Robert and Linda Black Center for Counseling, Counseling and Testing Services, and Health Center.

Parker Academic Center is a multipurpose facility housing classrooms, offices, and student labs for the College of Education and the McLane College of Business.  The facility was completed in the summer of 2002 and is named in honor of Dr. Bobby E. Parker, former UMHB President.

Parker House is named in honor of former president and chancellor Dr. Bobby E. Parker and his wife Marietta, by the donor, Mrs. JoAn Musick-Flowers.  In 1989, the residence opened and is where the Parkers resided until Dr. Parker assumed the role of chancellor in 1991. Dr. Jerry Bawcom and his wife, Vicky, were the last president and first lady to live in the house.  When Dr. Bawcom became chancellor in 2009 and moved to a home off campus, the house was remodeled and converted into the Musick Alumni Center and Museum.

Paul and Jane Meyer Christian Studies Center was made possible by a gift from Paul and Jane Meyer and was completed in the summer of 2008.  This building contains offices, classrooms, a library, and a chapel for the College of Christian Studies.

President’s Home was built in 2009 as the campus home for the UMHB first family.  Dr. Randy O’Rear and his wife, Julie, were the first president and first lady to live in the home.

Presser Hall was made possible by a gift from the Presser Foundation and contains studios, practice rooms, and faculty offices for the Department of Music, as well as Hughes Recital Hall named in memory of J.K. and Annie Hughes.  The building was constructed in 1929.  The recital hall was refurbished in 1979 through a generous gift made by Raymond L. Dillard and Genevieve Hughes Dillard (Class of ’31).

Sanderford Administrative Complex, named in memory of the parents of T.E. Sanderford, was made possible by a substantial gift from Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Sanderford.  Built in 1979, the complex houses the administrative offices of the university, including the Registrar’s Office, Admissions and Recruiting, Cashiers, and Financial Aid.  Renovations to the building were made in 1997, and a two-story addition was completed in 2007.

Sue and Frank Mayborn Performing Arts Center was completed in 2017.  The facility is designed to double as an academic building and a performance venue. The centerpiece of the facility is a 524-seat theater, complete with orchestra pit, fly space, and proscenium stage.

Townsend Memorial Library, named for Dr. and Mrs. E.G. Townsend, contains approximately 150,000 volumes, including bound periodicals and microfilm, and receives over 4,500 current periodicals and newspapers.  The fully automated library has access to the Internet, electronic journals (more than 3,500 of which are full-text), and numerous electronic databases.  This building was constructed in 1961 and remodeled in 1994.

J.W. Williams Service Center is located on the northern edge of the campus, at 800 Industrial Park Road.  The building is named for J.W. Williams, who served as maintenance supervisor for the campus from 1936 to 1941 and from 1948 to 1977.  This property was purchased in September 2012 and renovations were completed in September 2013.  This facility now houses offices and shops for the Physical Plant staff and for custodial services.

Wells Science Hall, named for former president Dr. E.H. Wells, was constructed in 1920.  It is devoted to classrooms, laboratories, and offices for Mathematics and Physics, undergraduate Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, and Criminal Justice.  The building was renovated in 1996, 2001, and 2013.

W.W. Walton Chapel was completed in the spring of 1967.  Named for donor W.W. Walton of Bartlett, the building serves as a chapel and an auditorium.  The Chapel was remodeled in 2003.

York House supports the Office of English as a Second Language.

York Science Center, named in memory of longtime faculty member Dr. C.L. York, provides offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the Biology and Chemistry departments and also contains the Anne Ammons Brindley Auditorium.  The building was completed in 1996.

Athletic Facilities

Andersen Field House was made possible by a gift from the Andersen Foundation and was opened in 1998.  Renovations were completed in 2011.  This facility now combines state-of-the-art video and training facilities for the football program with offices for the football program staff.

Campus Recreational Office and Courts were completed in August 2012, encompassing four tennis courts, 3 sand-volleyball courts, and 2 basketball courts.  The building consists of 2,000 square feet of office and storage space.

Crusader Stadium was completed in 2013 as the first on-campus stadium for the Crusader football program.  The facility was made possible through a lead gift from the family of Elizabeth and Drayton McLane, Jr., and is considered by many to be the finest stadium in NCAA Division III football.

Cummins Field House was named in honor of Chris and Cindy Cummins of College Station, Texas.  The field house offers locker rooms, training areas, and therapy space for the Crusader football program.  Dedicated in 2012, Cummins Field House is located adjacent to Andersen Field House in the university SportsPlex.

Dee Dillon Softball Field was completed in 2004 as part of the university’s SportsPlex on Crusader Way.  The field was named in honor of Dee Dillon, chairperson of the Health and Physical Education department at UMHB from 1954 to 1965.

Frank and Sue Mayborn Campus Center opened in January 2005.  This 122,000 square-foot facility provides offices for Athletics coaches and Exercise and Sport Science faculty, classrooms, a fitness center, a natatorium, an indoor jogging track, a 2,500-seat multi-purpose special events center, and the Mabee-Farris recreation gymnasium.

Red Murff Baseball Field, located in the SportsPlex on Crusader Way, was completed in 2004.  The field is named in honor of Red Murff, who helped start the baseball program at UMHB in the 1970s.

Soccer and Tennis Field House opened in the fall of 2019 and was officially dedicated on October 12, 2019.  This 9,763-square-foot facility houses locker rooms for both men’s and women’s soccer and tennis, athletic training room, meeting room, and full-service laundry facility.

Yvonne Li Tennis Center is named in honor of Yvonne Li.  Opened in spring 2005, the center includes eight courts, storage space, and support areas for the UMHB tennis teams.

UMHB Sportsplex includes football practice field, baseball field, softball field, tennis courts, soccer practice field, and a lighted soccer competition field.

Campus Living

Beall Hall is an apartment style residential building hall made possible by and named for Mary and James Beall.  This building was opened in 2000.

Burt Hall is a women’s residence hall made possible by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Burt.  The building was constructed in 1920 and remodeled in 1990 and 2001.

College View Apartments reverted back to UMHB ownership in May 2014.  Phased renovations began in 2014 and were completed in 2016.  This complex includes a total of 11 buildings and offers 414 beds for male and female students.

Farris Hall is a four-story complex which offers 163 beds for male and female students.  The complex was built in 2011 and was named in honor of Martha White Farris (Class of 1942) of Floydada, Texas.

Gettys Memorial Hall is a men’s residence hall named for Dr. and Mrs. A.C. Gettys.  The building was constructed in 1965 and renovated in 1991.

Johnson Hall is a women’s residence hall named for the mother of Lyndon Baines Johnson, former President of the United States.  The building was constructed in 1968 and renovated in  2011.

McLane Hall is a men’s residence hall named for Mr. Drayton McLane, Jr., of Temple, a major benefactor.  The building was completed in 1989 and was renovated in 2002.

Remschel Hall is a women’s residence hall named in honor of Corrine Remschel, a 1931 graduate.  The building was completed in 1993 and was renovated in 2007.

Stribling Hall is a women’s residence hall named for the daughter of J.C. Stribling, whose gift made the building possible.  The building was constructed in 1920 and renovated in 1990.

Lord Hall is a residence hall named in honor of Griff and Kathy Lord, Michael and Sharon Lord Dagget, and their families.  The three-story facility offers dormitory-style housing for up to 214 male and female students.  The building was constructed in 2018.

Independence Village

Independence Village pays tribute to the beginnings of the university’s history, which was founded in Independence, Texas, as part of Baylor University.  The complex, composed of apartment-style housing, was originally opened in 1996 and expanded in 1998, 2005, and 2010.

•    Shannon Commons was named for John H. Shannon, honorary member of the UMHB Alumni Association and late husband of Pat Lockridge Shannon, Class of 1953.  The building was constructed in 2005.

•    Clark Hall was named for Dr. Horace Clark, principal of the Female Department of Baylor University and president of Baylor Female College in 1871.  This building was constructed in 1996.

•    Ferguson Hall named for Miriam Amanda “Ma” Ferguson, a former student of the late 1800s and first woman governor of Texas.  This building was constructed in 1996.

•    Garner Hall is a housing complex which offers 72 apartments for 141 men and women.  The complex is named for John Hood Garner and Alleen Weatherford Garner, whose charitable trust made a key gift toward construction of the facility in 2010.

•    Grover Hall was named for the late O. Stanley and Blanche Grover, avid supporters and recruiters for the university.  This building was constructed in 1998.

•    Hobby Hall was named for Oveta Culp Hobby, a former student of the early 1920s, who was a businesswoman and first commanding officer of the Women’s Army Corps.  This building was constructed in 2005.

•    James Hall was named for the James family, which has maintained close ties with the university since 1885 by serving on the board of trustees, teaching, and attending the university. Eleanor James, Class of 1933, was the author of “Forth from Her Portals,” a history of the first 100 years of the university in Belton.  This building was constructed in 1998.

•    Provence Hall was named for Sally A. Provence, a graduate of 1937 and former professor of pediatrics at Yale University.  This building was constructed in 1998.

•    Taylor Hall was named for Mattie E. Taylor, a graduate of 1910 and former member of the board of trustees.  This building was constructed in 1998.

•    Tryon Hall was named for William M. Tryon, one of the original founders of the university in 1845.  This building was constructed in 1998.

•    Tyson Hall was named for Dr. Arthur K. Tyson, president of Mary Hardin-Baylor College from 1954 to 1966. This building was constructed in 2005.

•    Wilson Hall was named for William A. Wilson, president of Baylor Female College from 1896 to 1911. This building was constructed in 2005.

Points of Interest/Landmarks:

Allen International College Plaza

Baylor Academy Gazebo Plaza

Campus Boys Gazebo

Class of ’42-’46 People Place

Christ in the Garden Sculpture

Crusader Sculpture 

Forth From Her Portals Sculpture

Fountain in Vann Circle

Historical Park

Intramural/Band Rehearsal Field

Landmark Entryway

Luther Memorial/Old Baylor Bell Tower

Millennium Oaks Park

Musick/Flowers Plaza

N.B. Moon Building (Bell Baptist Association)

Parker Prayer Garden

Potter Gazebo

Potts Plaza

Senior Bell Plaza

Student Memorial in Millennium Oaks Park

York Sesquicentennial Plaza