Academic Suspension

A student who is placed on academic suspension will be suspended for a minimum of one “long” semester. For example: A student placed on academic suspension at the end of the fall semester will not be allowed to re-enroll until the start of the summer semester. A student placed on academic suspension at the end of the spring semester will not be authorized to register for classes until the start of the next spring semester (excluding full summer term). Courses taken at other institutions during a period of academic suspension from UMHB may not be transferred to UMHB. A student who has been suspended must apply to be readmitted (on probation) through the regular admission procedure at the completion of the suspension period. If readmission is granted, the student would be required to comply with the regulations listed in the Academic Probation section above. Falsifying transcripts will result in the permanent dismissal of a student from UMHB.

A student who appeals academic suspension and has the suspension waived by the student’s academic Dean will be continued on probation by petition. The student may be required to adhere to an individualized academic action plan as deemed necessary by the student’s academic Dean and will not be eligible to participate in any non-curricular activity or represent the University, except under the following conditions:

  1. No participant in any class for which he/she is registered shall be prohibited from taking field trips or from taking part in productions which are a part of that class.
  2. A student who is on probation by petition usually may participate in tours and other such activities only if his/her credit for the course is dependent on participation in said activities and provided he/she receives prior approval from the Provost/Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  3. A student who is on probation by petition ordinarily may not represent the University in activities other than those stated in 1 and 2 above. This probation includes, but is not limited to, such activities as intercollegiate contests, off-campus productions, or active membership in a club or student organization. (Official representation is defined as participation in any activity under the name of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, under the direction, supervision, or sponsorship of any university area.)

The university reserves the right to take into account the student's compliance with the university's student code of conduct when considering whether to grant a student continued probation or probation by petition status.