Veterans and Family Members

The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is fully approved to offer instruction to students attending college under the provisions of the United States Code, Title 38, and Chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607.

The University contacts for individuals planning to use Veterans Administration (VA) benefits are the Veterans’ Certifying Officials in the Registrar’s Office.

Veterans who have successfully completed basic training will be granted a PE Activity waiver (unless specific EXSS courses are required) after providing satisfactory documentation to the Registrar’s Office.

An individual planning to attend UMHB using VA benefits must comply with the following procedures:

  1. Complete all requirements for admission to the University as a degree-seeking student or as a transient student with an approved formal degree plan from another university.
  2. Have an evaluation of service schools/experiences completed by the Registrar’s Office to determine any awarding of military credit.
  3. In coordination with an assigned academic advisor, register for only courses that are required for completion of your selected degree.
  4. Maintain satisfactory academic progress. The provisions found under the headings of “Scholastic Probation” and “Academic Suspension” in this catalog will apply.

In compliance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, section 3679(e) of Title 38, United States Code, the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor

  • will permit any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the University a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 (a "certificate of eligibility" can also include a "Statement of Benefits" obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) website - eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for Chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the University.
  2. 90 days after the date the University certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
  • will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual's inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the University due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.

As allowed under the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, section 3679(e) of Title 38, United States Code, the covered individual will be required to:

  1. Submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance no later than the first day of a course of education.
  2. Submit a written request to use such entitlement.
  3. Provide additional information necessary to the proper certification of enrollment by the University (for example, official transcripts from all previously attended institutions).
  4. Pay any amount that is the difference between the amount of the student's financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.

Note: A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.