Graduate Admissions

The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor grants admission to students who demonstrate adequate academic preparation and who possess the characteristics necessary for success at a Christian university. In order to be admitted, all applicants must meet the requirements established by the University. Admissions decisions will be based on academic credentials and recommendations. 

Applying for Admission
Students applying to the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy, Master of Science in Physician Assistant, or Doctor of Physical Therapy Programs must apply through the Centralized Application Service (CAS) system. For specific information about admission process and requirements for these programs, please refer to the relevant program information in this catalog.

Students applying to all other graduate programs at UMHB will utilize the following process.

An applicant must submit:
1. An application for admission with a $35 non-refundable fee.

2. Official transcripts from each college previously attended sent directly from the granting institution. Even though courses taken at one institution are noted on another college’s transcript, applicants must submit transcripts from the institution at which the courses were taken. Transcript evaluations will be completed after submission of an application to a UMHB Graduate Program and the admission fee has been paid. Transcripts from other institutions which have been submitted for admission or evaluation become part of the student's academic file and are not returned or copied for distribution.

3. Additional documentation may be required as part of the application file to meet program specific requirements.

The application for admission is a student’s affirmation that he/she will comply with all University rules and policies.

Note: An official transcript is one that has been received directly from the issuing institution. It must bear the school seal, date, and an appropriate signature.

Admission Requirements
A student may be admitted to a UMHB Graduate program in one of the following ways:
1. Regular Admission
2. Conditional Admission
3. Probationary Admission
4. Non-degree Admission
5. Readmission
6. Concurrent Enrollment

Regular Admission
An applicant must:
1. Complete a baccalaureate degree (or its equivalent) from a regionally accredited institution.

2. Complete a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution to apply for a doctoral level program.

3. Submit official transcripts from each college attended . (Only master’s level transcripts are required for a doctoral level program.)

4. Have a cumulative and/or last 60 hours GPA of at least 3.00

5. Meet any additional quantitative and qualitative standards of the program to which the applicant is requesting admission (e.g., Letters of Recommendation).

Conditional Admission

An applicant must meet the admission criteria for Regular Admission (additional documentation may be required by the program). Conditional Admission allows an applicant to be admitted although a document is still needed to complete the application file. Students failing to complete the documentation requirement will not be allowed to register for the next semester, and transcripts will be placed on hold.

Probationary Admission
After official transcripts and program documentation are received, an applicant not meeting the university standards of a 3.0 GPA may be admitted if he/she shows evidence of an ability to successfully participate in graduate study as determined by the graduate program to which he/she is applying with a minimum of a 2.75 GPA. Students admitted on probation must have a strong departmental/program recommendation. A probationary status student may take no more than nine hours of graduate work during any semester of attendance until the probationary status has been removed. Students enrolled in graduate programs consisting of two-hour courses may only enroll in eight hours of graduate work during this time. If grades of “B” or better are earned for all graduate courses, the probationary status will be removed. Failure to earn a "B" or better in all graduate courses will result in academic dismissal from the graduate program.

Note: Students below a 2.75 but above a 2.5 GPA may be considered for probationary admissions with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies.

Note: Probationary Admission does not apply to Physician Assistant, Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy graduate programs.

Non-Degree Admission

A non-degree student may be permitted to take up to six hours of graduate credit with the recommendation of the appropriate department. Such students must provide official transcripts from the institution(s) granting their bachelor’s degree(s) or later degree(s). If students admitted on non-degree status wish to continue beyond the six hours, they must apply for admission as a student seeking a degree or certification and must meet all requirements for graduate admission.

Students who have completed a master’s degree and who wish to take courses to meet qualifications for State licensure or certifications may also be permitted to take courses as non-degree students. These non-degree students may take more than six hours if a deficiency plan, signed by the specific program director, has been completed and is on file in the Graduate Admission’s Office.

Non-degree students are not eligible for institutional financial aid.


Some graduate programs allow a student to request consideration for readmission.  The Program Director or Dean can provide specific information upon inquiry.
A student may be disqualified for readmission for disciplinary reasons.

Former students who have officially withdrawn, stopped attending classes without officially withdrawing, attended another institution during their absence, and/or have served a period of Academic Suspension and who are otherwise eligible may apply for readmission by completing the graduate application for admissions. If, during their absence from UMHB, students attended any other institutions, they must submit official transcripts reflecting such attendance. Students experiencing a disruption in continuous enrollment lasting longer than one academic year must reorganize their respective degree plan under the current catalog.  See additional comments under “Graduation Under a Particular Catalog”.

Concurrent Enrollment

A senior undergraduate student who has an overall GPA of 3.00 or higher and who lacks twelve or fewer hours toward graduation may enroll for six or fewer graduate hours with submission of a graduate application and acceptance into the graduate program. At no time may an undergraduate student be enrolled in graduate classes without also being enrolled in undergraduate classes. Petition for any exceptions must be made directly to the Director of Graduate Studies.


To register for classes a student must obtain an advising slip and/or registration clearance from his/her program director.